Tri Tip Steak
Prep 20 minutes
Marinate 2 hours
Stand 25 minutes
Grill 1 hour
Makes 4 servings
1 2 1⁄2-pound beef tri-tip steak
1 can (11.5-ounce) mango nectar, Kern’s®
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1⁄4 cup diced canned jalapeño chile peppers, Ortega®
1⁄4 cup lime juice, ReaLime®
1⁄4 cup canola oil, Wesson®
1 tablespoon Jamaican jerk seasoning, McCormick®
FOR MANGO-RED PEPPER SALSA:
1 jar (12-ounce) roasted red bell peppers, diced fine, Delallo®
8 ounces frozen mango chunks, diced small, Dole®
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice, ReaLime®
1 fresh jalapeño chile pepper, finely chopped
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1. Place steak in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add the mango nectar, the 1⁄2 cup cilantro, the canned chile peppers, the 1⁄4 cup lime juice, canola oil, and the jerk seasoning. Squeeze out air and seal. Gently massage bag to combine ingredients. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
2. For Mango-Red Pepper Salsa, in a medium bowl, combine roasted peppers, mango, the 1⁄4 cup cilantro, the 2 tablespoons lime juice, the fresh chile pepper, and the salt. Set aside until ready to serve.
3. Set up grill for indirect cooking over medium-high heat (no direct heat source under steak). Oil grate when ready to start cooking. Let steak stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on hot, oiled grill. Cover grill and cook for 30 to 35 minutes per side for medium (145 to 150 degrees F).
5. Transfer steak to a platter and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain. Serve warm with Mango-Red Pepper Salsa.