Makes 36 toasts
1⁄3 cup roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon coarse-grain Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
TOAST AND ROAST
1 baguette, cut into 1-inch-thick slices (about 36 pieces)
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing bread
1 garlic clove, cut in half
1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin
Salt and coarse-ground pepper Coarse salt
1. For sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine peppers, mayonnaise, mustard, thyme, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Cover and chill until serving time.
2. For toast: Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush bread slices with olive oil. Arrange on a large baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Rub warm toast with cut sides of garlic clove. Let cool completely. Turn oven to 400°F.
3. For roast: Season tenderloin with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown meat on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer pan to oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 130°F.
4. Transfer meat to a platter and allow to cool. Wrap and chill roast for at least 4 hours.
5. To assemble, slice meat very thinly and lay on toast. Top with sauce. Sprinkle with coarse salt.