1 box lemon cake mix
1 cup buttermilk
1∕3 cup vegetable oil
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
3 cans (16 ounces each) buttercream frosting
1 1⁄2 cups raspberries
Sugar roses and leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat two 8-inch round cake pans with spray.
2. In a large bowl, with a mixer on low, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, oil, and extract for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Scrape batter into cake pans and bake for 29 to 34 minutes, or until
a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
4. In a bowl, stir zest into frosting.
5. Level cakes if they have crowned and split each layer horizontally with
a serrated knife. Stack the four cake layers, spreading 1⁄2 cup frosting and 1⁄2 cup berries on each of the bottom three layers before adding the top layer. Frost the outside of cake and transfer remaining frosting to a zip-top bag and snip of a corner. Pipe small dots around the bottom of cake. Deco- rate cake with sugar roses and leaves, straws, and paper bunting decorations. TIP Use to make cupcakes, but top them with fruit or jam.