Makes 8 servings
PICKLED RED ONION
1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 jalapeños, seeded and cut into julienne strips
1 cup grape juice
1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
MUSTARD BBQ SAUCE
1⁄4 cup coarse-grain mustard
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
1⁄4 cup honey
1 cup hickory-favored barbecue sauce
3 to 4 pounds pork shoulder (butt) roast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 hamburger rolls
1. For pickled red onion: In a small bowl, pour boiling water over the onion and jalapeños. Let stand 5 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water. Return jalapeños and onions to the bowl and toss with grape juice, vinegar, and salt. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
2. For mustard BBQ sauce: In a small saucepan, cook and stir the mustard, garlic, vinegar, honey, and barbecue sauce for 10 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat.
3. For pork roast: Rub roast all over with salt and black pepper. Place roast in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker and add mustard BBQ sauce.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
5. Transfer roast to a cutting board or platter and let rest for 5 minutes. Using two forks, shred pork. Strain sauce and add 1 cup to the pork. Serve pork on hamburger rolls with pickled onion and extra sauce on the side.