￼￼￼Anyone born this time of year is used to their celebration taking a backseat. So surprise them with a blowout that has all the spirit of the season…plus cake!
Roasted Spiced Carrot- Tomato Soup
Makes 6 servings
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
2 large plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for rolls
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
6 crusty rolls (about 4 inches across) 2 cups chicken stock, divided
1 cup water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sour cream
Parsley sprigs, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Arrange carrots and tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, tossing to coat. Bake for 15 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with five-spice powder. Bake for 5 minutes longer, or until tender. Leave oven on.
3. Cut an opening in top of rolls and pull out bread from inside (save for homemade bread crumbs), leaving
a 1-inch wall. Brush lightly with oil. Arrange on a baking sheet and place in oven to heat through and toast slightly (keep an eye on them).
4. Using tongs, remove and discard tomato peels. In a blender, combine carrots, peeled tomatoes, and 11 cups stock. Working in batches if necessary, process until very smooth (be sure to remove cap from blender’s lid to let heat escape, and cover hole with kitchen towel).
5. Transfer puree to a medium sauce- pan. Add water, remaining 1 cup stock, and salt. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
6. In a small bowl, thin sour cream with just enough water to make it pourable. Transfer to a small squeeze bottle (or zip-top bag with a teeny hole cut out of one corner).
7. Spoon soup into bread bowls. Drizzle each serving with sour cream. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Stack 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing between each one with melted butter or olive oil. Cut the layered dough into squares of about 4 inches and press each into well- greased muffin cups. Bake tarts in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool before filling. Steam as many jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined, tails on) as you have phyllo cups, then chill until ready to serve. Season crème fraîche, Greek yogurt, Mexican crema, or sour cream with a little horseradish, grated lemon zest, and white pepper to taste. Spoon dollops of the mixture into phyllo cups and set a skewered shrimp and a tiny lemon wedge on top.
Treat your guests to their own little dish of dressed-up mac and cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Coat four ramekins with cooking spray.
Then heat one 20-ounce package Bob Evans® Macaroni and Cheese according to package directions, and stir in a 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained; 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese; 1 package bacon, cooked and broken into pieces; 1⁄2 teaspoon salt; and 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Let mixture stand for 10 to 15 minutes to cool. Mix in 2 lightly beaten eggs. Spoon evenly into the ramekins. Sprinkle with more Gouda cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until centers are set.
Sparkling Cranberry Rosé Cocktail
Makes 1 drink
2 tablespoons cranberry juice cocktail
1 teaspoon simple syrup
1 cup chilled BV Coastal Estates Zinfandel wine
Into a wine glass, pour cranberry juice and simple syrup. Top with Zinfandel wine. Serve immediately.
TIP: To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Boil until sugar dissolves and mixture reduces slightly. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Make a Date
Find this premium Evite invitation and thank- you note combination at Evite.com/SandraLee, and more ideas and inspiration at ideas.evite.com.