Red Velvet Cake
Makes 24 servings
2 boxes German chocolate cake mix
1 cup canola oil, divided
6 eggs, divided
2 2⁄3 cups water, divided
2 teaspoons coconut extract, divided
2 bottles (1 ounce each) red food coloring, divided
3 cans (12 ounces each) fluffy white whipped icing
24 ounces cream cheese, softened
11 cups powdered sugar, sifted
11 teaspoons coconut extract
1. For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat two 9-inch round cake pans with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, with a mixer on low, combine 1 cake mix, 1 cup oil, 3 eggs, 11⁄3 cups water, 1 teaspoon coconut extract, and 1 bottle food coloring. Beat for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute.
3. Divide batter between cake pans and bake for 28 to 33 minutes, or until a pick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert on to wire racks to cool completely.
4. Wash pans and repeat steps with remaining cake ingredients.
5. Preheat oven to 200°F. Use a serrated knife to level the tops of cake layers. Place trimmed-of pieces on a baking sheet and place in oven to dry out for 10 to 15 minutes. Once cool, place in a blender and process into fine crumbs.
6. For icing: In a medium bowl, with a mixer, beat all icing ingredients until smooth. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a 1-inch round tip.
7. Place one cake layer on a cake plate. Starting in center of layer, pipe a closed spiral
out to edge of cake. Top with another cake layer. Repeat with remaining icing and cake layers. Pipe spiral on top of cake. Sprinkle with a solid layer of cake crumbs.