Makes 1 layer cake (12 servings) and 24 cupcakes
2 boxes butter golden cake mix 6 large eggs
1 cup apple juice
6 sticks (11⁄2 pounds) butter, at room temperature
1 1⁄2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons marshmallow flavoring
2 boxes (16 ounces each) powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
Food coloring of choice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans. Line 24 standard muffin cups with papers.
2. In a bowl, combine cake mixes, eggs, apple juice, 2 sticks butter, and 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marshmallow flavoring. Beat until smooth.
3. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with batter and divide remaining batter between pans. Bake until a pick comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes for cupcakes and 25 minutes for cakes. Let cakes cool in pans for 20 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.
4. In a bowl, beat remaining butter until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Add remaining 2 tablespoons marshmallow flavoring and milk and beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
5. Level cake layers with a serrated knife. Place a layer on a platter. Spread with 1⁄2 cup frosting. Place second layer on top, bottom side up. Frost top and sides. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Divide frosting among 4 bowls. Tint each a different color. Transfer frostings to piping bags and pipe dots onto cake. 7. Frost cupcakes with remaining tinted frosting. Stack frosted cupcakes in a 3-level pyramid on top of cake: 7 on the bottom, 3 on the middle, and 1 on top.