Blue Velvet Cake
Makes 36 mini cakes
1 box blue velvet cake mix
3 large eggs
1⁄3 cup Sandra Lee Cocktail Time Key Lime Margarita
1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
8 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 box (16 ounces) powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
Blue food coloring
Gummy octopuses, starfish candies, and paper umbrellas, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and four two 8-inch round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, eggs, margarita, pineapple juice, and coconut oil. Beat until smooth. 3. Divide batter between cake pans and bake 30 to 34 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans for 20 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Add milk and beat until light and fluffy.
5. Level tops of layers with a serrated knife. Set a layer on a platter and spread frosting on top. Place a second layer, bottom side up, on frosting and frost top and sides of cake.
6. Tint remaining frosting with blue food coloring and transfer to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe a border around bottom edge of cake. Run a butter knife through frosting at intervals to create waves. Create a beach scene on cake with paper umbrellas, gummies, and candies.