- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) brisket
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch parsley, stems reserved and leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 packet meatloaf seasoning
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 (8-ounce) packages mixed wild mushrooms
- 1 (.87 ounce) packet slow cooker pot roast seasoning
Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the brisket on both sides with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Sear the brisket in the pan about 4 minutes per side.
To the slow cooker, add the onion, celery, bay leaf and parsley stems. Places the seared brisket on top of the vegetables. In a large bowl combined the wine, broth and whisk in tomatoes paste and meatloaf seasoning. Pour over brisket and cook for 4 to 6 hours on low. Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook for another hour, or until the carrots are tender.
Remove the meat, carrots, and mushrooms from the slow cooker and set aside. Strain the liquid into a medium pan over medium-high heat. Whisk together the gravy mix with one cup of cold water. Turn the heat to medium and whisk in the gravy mix a bit at a time. Cook until thickened about 2 minutes.
To serve, slice the brisket and serve it with the carrots, mushrooms, and gravy. Garnish with the chopped parsley leaves.