Makes 8 servings
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pork loin roast (4 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (12 ounces) Dr. Pepper®
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricot halves
- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes
1. Place sliced onions in a 3 1⁄2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season pork roast with salt and pepper. Brown roast on all sides in skillet. Place browned roast in cooker on top of onions.
3. Add cloves, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaf to cooker. Pour Dr. Pepper® over roast and top roast with dried fruit.
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 8 to 9 hours, or until internal temperature of roast reaches 160°F.
5. Remove roast from cooker and let rest for 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove onion, fruit, and spices from cooker; discard spices. Skim fat from sauce in cooker and discard. Slice roast and arrange it on a platter. Serve topped with onions, fruit, and defatted sauce.